Achieving Health and Wellness Goals
Certified coaches share insights to reaching your health and wellness goals.
Achieving health and wellness goals
Every day people try to achieve their goals that focus on the “outside” stuff. Whether it’s working numerous hours per day to get that desired promotion or saving every penny, to buy the beautiful house with a garden in the suburbs, or just staying up and studying all night to crush a college exam. While we are putting all of our energy and ambition to accomplishing the success of the moment, it takes a massive toll on us. What we sacrifice to realize one success it ourselves because we don’t have time to take care of the most essential part of the success equation…YOU!
But what is external happiness without inner happiness? Can we enjoy life and truly feel proud of our achievements if we’re feeling unhealthy, sluggish, and depressed?
What are health and wellness?
The concept of these two words seems like it should be quite self-explanatory, but is it really? Health and wellness are not defined only by healthy eating and taking up sports. According to the World Health Organization, health and wellness involve physical, mental, and social aspects of life.
Sure, you can take care of your body by eating nutritious foods, avoiding harmful substances, and being active, it’s more than that. Wellness is holistic. It involves your mental health and your emotional and spiritual health too. It requires work-life balance and healthy relationships with those most important to us. It means we are responsible and meet our commitments; that we live harmoniously in our environment.
Have you ever said to yourself that you wish the day were just a little longer? Have you ever promised yourself that when this project is finished, you’ll take more time to ……..(fill in the blank) and yet months later, you’re still rushing everywhere trying to complete an endless list of daily tasks, and suddenly realizing you haven’t taken a day off in weeks?
How often do you make time and look inward? Have you ever written in a journal? Or start your day with meditation? Or have dinner with a friend or lover and NOT look at your social media once in the conversation? These simple things can change your entire mindset, and you’ll notice a difference in just a few days. Every action we make is preceded by a thought. Doesn’t it make sense that if our mental and emotional wellbeing determines our actions, we need to nurture our mind and soul with as much care as our bodies
Why should I be concerned about my health and wellness?
Very often, we get into a comfort zone. We are not thriving, but we’re ok. Not in pain, no crisis, but comfortable with mediocrity and getting by. Until we are in pain, or in crisis, or it’s not comfortable anymore. Other times, the signs have been there for a while, but we ignore them. Fatigue, hunger, pain of some sort, stress, damaging beliefs about ourselves, and why we have to keep going. And then we get ill, and we wish we had taken better care of our bodies; we wish we had spent more time with loved ones; we wish we were kinder and more patient; we wish we laughed and played more. You don’t have to wait. You have a choice. You might consider paying more attention to your health and wellness if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Joint pain
- Constant hunger
- Inability to deal with stress
- Lack of concentration
- Bad sleeping pattern
- Mood swings
Benefits of health and wellness
There are too many to list them all, but here will name the big ones!
- You will l feel more energized and glow on the inside and out. Your friends and family will wonder what you’re doing!
- Physical activity will relieve stress, give you more energy, help you sleep better, boost confidence, improve your love life, and you will look your best.
- When you learn to listen to your body and the deeper inner self-talk, you will have regained control of your life. You will feel empowered to live deliberatively instead of reactively, and you will gain clarity and focus.
- Ever notice that healthy people tend to be confident? And that they also have a certain charisma or “draw” to them? When you feel great inside and out, you carry yourself differently, and people will react to you differently. They will treat you in higher regard because you are treating yourself in higher regard.
- Once you learn how to love yourself, you’ll be able to love others even more.
How to achieve health and wellness
- Write down all health and wellness related goals you’d like to meet. Maybe you want to eat more vegetables and just less junk food or drink more water instead of soda. Perhaps you want to be more active, quit smoking, start meditation, or just taking time to yourself to rest and regroup. Writing them down makes them more tangible, and it becomes easier to set a plan to achieve them. Start small, and work your way up, step by step, to become the best version of yourself. You can add 5 minutes of exercise a day for a week to build up to 30 minutes. You don’t have to hit it heavy from day one.
- Make time in the day to talk to yourself. We are so inundated by media messages in this world it is easy to abandon your inner voice. On average, we are hit with over 4000 messages per day, and we seldom make the connection that we are trying to fill an internal void with outer means. Everything you need is already inside of you, and the only way to truly feel comfortable in your own skin is for you to set up time in the day to have a conversation with yourself, whether it be in meditation, journal writing, taking a long walk, or any other form.
- Listen to your body. Now that you know your goals and have clarity, pay attention to the signals your body is sending you. We often indulge in things that bring temporary gratification but leave us feeling sluggish afterward. It’s ok to eat that piece of chocolate cake or drink a glass of red wine but do it in moderation. When we overindulge, it is not a reward but a destruction of the self that stresses our body and our psyche. How good will your car run if you put 26 gallons of gas in a 24-gallon tank? Or if you use sand for fuel instead of gasoline? Not too good, right? Over time your body will break down just like your car will if you abuse it that way.
- Make some physical activity part of your daily routine. Even though everyone knows that being physically active is essential, often, it’s seen as torment, but it doesn’t have to be. Being physically active does not mean spending countless hours in the gym every day; it can be as simple as a 15-minute workout in the morning or taking a walk on your lunch break. Instead of looking for the closes parking space, park further away to get a few extra steps in. When you’re only going up 1 or 2 stories, take the stairs instead of the elevator. When you start looking, it’s easy to find ways to incorporate little bits of physical activity into your daily routine. You’ll have better energy and moods as a result.
- Live proactively instead of reactively. Even when you understand and value yourself, life will still throw challenges at you. There is so little we can control, and life events happening around us are not even in the top 100. The only thing we do have control over is how we relate to those events and what actions we choose to take in response to them. When you have developed the skill of listening to your inner self, you will be able to face these challenges with a sense of calmness, and intuitively you will know how to handle situations that once were confusing or overwhelming. Perception is everything. Even things that might seem horrible can be turned into a challenge if you look at it differently. Maybe you just got fired. You can look at it as the end of the world and that you’re a failure or that you’ve been given a chance to grow and find something better. Does life really end there? NO. Do your family and friends still love you? YES. Are you able to find another job? YES. Could it be a better one? YES.
Achieving health and wellness goals will require a lot of commitment, honesty, effort, and introspect, but it will pay dividends. We have one body, and this is not a dress rehearsal for life but a live performance. Start with small things and work your way to becoming the best version of yourself. Consider working with a health and wellness coach to achieve your goals.
At Life Coach Library, we make finding a coach you love convenient and simple. All you have to do is register and fill out a brief questionnaire. We will match you with up to three coaches who are exactly what you are looking for, and they will all give you a free consultation. The best part…our service is completely FREE. Visit lifecoachlibrary.com to find out more about the impact of working with a certified coach will have.