NLP Coaching explained
“A man’s life consists of what he is thinking about all day”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
What is NLP?
NLP is an acronym that stands for Neuro-Linguistic Programming.
So, what is neuro-linguistic programming? In the 1970’s, co-founders Richard Bandler and John Grinder developed this process to create “cognitive, linguistic, and behavioral excellence”.
NLP is grounded in science supporting that all human beings’ mental and physical states are connected. It is based on the theory that people “think” in pictures, sounds, feelings, smells, and tastes (the 5 senses). An NLP coach uses techniques that are geared towards understanding how the language we use in self talk influences our decisions. Ultimately, those decisions affect the results we achieve.
What is NLP Coaching Helpful For?
There is no limit to what NLP coaching can be used for. These techniques have successfully helped thousands break bad habits. In addition, countless others have found freedom from phobias. Also, research proves that it is helpful in managing anxiety. In short, it is a powerful way to create more of something they want or less of something they don’t. The processes used in NLP coaching produce change. Just by taking the initiative to act, one is already creating a desired change.
Some examples of things an NLP coach online can help with:
- Overcome limiting beliefs and take their life to a whole next level.
- Break bad & self-destructive habits.
- Implement empowering & productive habits and routines.
- Improve communication skills, including conflict resolution; persuasion; negotiation.
- Increase one’s influence and impact on others (leadership/management skills).
- Develop a higher Emotional Intelligence (EQ).
- Decrease negative emotions; dissolve feeling associated with the past.
- Increase positive emotions; boost happiness and confidence.
- Become a more rapid learner; enhance memory and cognitive skills.
How does NLP work?
NLP tries to uncover and replace unconscious limitations with empowering beliefs that result in improved experiences. However, an NLP coach online should not be confused with a hypnotherapist. A hypnotherapist is someone who is trained to work completely in one’s subconscious. Instead, NLP is the conscious use of language to bring about changes in one’s thoughts and behavior.
What are the Top NLP Techniques?
There are several techniques used by certified NLP Coaches. Some of the more common techniques are:
- Loop break: consciously change an unconscious pattern
- Anchoring: pairing a physical sensation with a desired feeling
- Swish: replaces negative feelings associated with a situation
- Mirroring: powerful technique to build rapport and trust; increase persuasion.
- Presuppositions: structuring language to infer non-verbalized assumptions
- Pattern Interruption: establishes new unconscious patterns to bring key result
- Reframing: increases or decreases emotional response to a situation ·
- Association and disassociation: changing perspective or point of view on emotional experiences
- Meta-modeling: find underling thoughts to construct new one
What is NLP Coaching?
Certified NLP coaches help people achieve amazingly positive results in their lives. NLP Coaching is similar to general life-coaching but includes the use of neuro-linguistic programming exercise to help clients reach their goals.
The NLP coach focuses on the clients’ conscious thought processes and language that influence their behavior and outcomes. Through skillful questioning, the coach helps identify the sabotaging thought patterns and help the clients remove and replace them.
How can I find an NLP Coach online?
Finding an NLP coach online could seem a little daunting. We suggest considering these factors when choosing:
- Certification: Of course, if you are going to invest your time, energy, and money working with any professional, you want to know they are qualified and have completed a reputable NLP Certification program. Ask about certification and experience.
- What are you looking for help with? Make sure they can help with your specific goals. Find out what techniques they favor using and decide if this will be useful to you.
- Make sure you have the right rapport. This is the most important predictor of success. We suggest you talk to 2-3 professionals before deciding. You can do an online search and reach out to a few on your own or you can let us find them for you. This process is convenient and there is no cost or obligation to you. Simply register and fill out a short questionnaire and we’ll do the rest!